|Couldn't get rid of the photo assistant to-day.|
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
I was bad. Very bad. I bought fabric. (Sounds like I'm at an AA meeting for fabricaholics!) I am trying to stick to some sort of a plan to sew clothes that I need right now. Problem is, I'll choose a fabric for a top, with no bottoms to go with it. Or - there's fabric for a bottom, but nothing that works for a top. I already have far too many orphan pieces in my closet to continue willy-nilly, so, you see, I have to buy at least a few pieces to make coordinating outfits, otherwise the whole operation is completely useless. Luck had it, that Fabricland was having one of their 50% off for members sales (Those used to happen only a few times a year, didn't they? Now it seems every time I turn around, there's another message on my phone letting me know of yet another sale.) This one actually worked out quite well for me. I wanted corduroy for pants, and that's all I bought (well, that and a few pieces for sweater dresses, but I'm not counting those, because....). Why corduroy? Because it's comfortable, reasonably warm, and (dare I admit such a thing?) I'm really not much of a jeans person. I'd rather wear cords - not in a jeans style - just a regular trouser/slacks style. So here it is: home outfit #1.
Black corduroy pants Vogue 9537, which I suppose I should now call my TNT pattern. The sweater is an ancient KwikSew 2552. I had a few misgivings about the sweater. When I trolled around the internet for inspiration, I saw long lean cardigans with pockets. This pattern was essentially the same, but... I couldn't remember how it fit. I still have the original, a mohair mix, which has shrunk some from countless washings and is generally relegated to the "something warm to put on when feeling crummy" category. I just decided to wing it. Cut and sewed the x-small. Tried it on. Felt a little baggy. Looked even more baggy. Decided to wear it for a day and see how it felt. This morning I decided that the look was way too baggy. Headed down to the sewing room to remedy the situation immediately, because I had to wear this to-day (don't ask why - just a totally irrational decision). Well, the other reason is that I well know, if something isn't quite right, if it lands downstairs to be fixed, if I don't take more or less immediate action, that piece will languish for months (possibly years) in some basket, not having its fair chance at its own space in my closet. The remedy was fairly simple, in this case. I took another inch seam along both sides (4 inches total), round the underarm and tapered off near the sleeve edge. The pockets became an inch smaller, but they were rather large to start with. The other bonus was fixing the belt carriers. Originally they were sewn into the side seams, which made them stick out on both sides like a pair of ugly ears. Round two - I topstitched them into place, top and bottom. Nice and flat. The belt in the pattern is long for tying. Not a nice look when you put a coat overtop, to have an ugly bulge underneath. Needed something sleeker. I found a click-together black plastic buckle in a drawer, and that solved my belt fastening problem.