Having tweaked the fit of Kwik Sew 4191, I thought it might be a good idea to use the pattern again – it was out of the envelope already. I also had an “inherited” remnant of furry/hairy stuff. Years ago (when this “inheritance” came to me) I had decided that this would be a jacket. And a very warm one at that. Problem was – definitely not enough fabric there for a whole jacket. Sleeves had to come from somewhere else. I knew there was a reason I had kept that black sweater coat of my daughter’s from many, many years ago. She hardly wore it, and it had just felt wrong to give it away – don’t have a clue why. Given that the hairy fabric was quite heavy, the front closure that made any sense, was a zipper – not at all like the Kwik Sew pattern. I grafted on the front of the Sewaholic Cordova jacket. Now everything was in place. Cut. Sew. Fuss and grumble. Once again I added a lining. The back side of the hairy fabric is a knit, but not at all the thing that you would want anyone to see. (It also has absolute zero stretch to it.) I also needed facings. Thin fabric – because the hairy stuff is soooo bulky. Those came from the bits left over from the black quarter circle skirt.
And don’t ask me why, but I decided to just serge around the edges of the facing and then sew them to the lining. Uuuglyyyy! That just wouldn’t do. No. Ribbon to the rescue. I hand stitched that on (because by that point there was no way I could get a machine into places where a machine would have to go.)
Attaching the sleeves was a bit of a think. I did completely undo all the original stitching of the sweater sleeve and cut out “new” sleeves, but for some reason there was a lot of worrying about getting it all to work. If only I could knit …. Well, I don’t, (my hands just don’t like knitting, and after a few very painful attempts at scarf knitting, in preparation for learning how to knit sweaters, I consoled myself with the knowledge that I can just sew my sweaters.) All in all, I’m quite happy with my jacket. It is very warm, and with the weather being what it is, that’s a very good thing.
I’m also pleased with myself that I actually cut and sewed the jacket in a very reasonable amount of time, instead of dragging things out for months on end. (OK – the thinking about it for years doesn’t count here.)
|One very bad picture of me in jacket, just because it seems that this is the only way I can show you that it does actually fit - unlike those mannequin pictures.|
Now the problem is I still have a small rectangle of this furry fabric left – a very small rectangle. Can’t possibly throw it away. May-be I need an “accessory collar” that I could tie on over a sweater. Hmmm …