Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Vogue 8847

The pattern was bought in (I believe) December.  (I bought four patterns at that time and swore that I would buy no more patterns until those four were used.  You know that didn't happen, though the subsequent patterns purchased were not from Club BMV.)  I was really trying to stick to my word, and this dress was cut in February.  Other projects kept rearing their heads, and I finally finished sewing this one in May.
Vogue 8847
Navy blue rayon challis - not exactly a summer dress, but ... given that we had unseasonably cold weather up until about a week ago, I wore this dress in May, and even in June.  Actually, it was nice to have something new to wear that actually fit with the weather.  The style reminds me of dresses that I sewed in the '70's - loose, gathered into a yoke, belted.  I used the collar from View A and the hem from View B.  They certainly don't give you much to play with in the hem - only a 1 and 1/4 inch hem!  Next time (there might be a next time) I'll lengthen it just a bit and give myself more hem to turn up.  The cuffs are just sewn in the round - no placket, no buttons.  Very easy to sew, but I don't know that I'm thrilled with that - again something to revamp in future editions.  With such volume to the dress, it might seem rather silly to be making a SBA, but I did - I think it neatened up things under the arms.
I added a little bit of red piping around the collar just to perk things up a bit.
Overall -  a very comfortable dress for every day.  In a stiffer fabric, I think the style would be rather overwhelming.

Saturday, June 22, 2013

My summer classes

The best laid plans...  I'm so slow with blog posts, that my summer class samples immediately follow those from winter.  Just bear with me - I will get back to "normal" - whatever that is.
I refused to do pyjamas yet again, ( I really did need a break from the same old pj pattern), so for beginner classes....
The skirt is Kwik Sew 3877.  I got the idea while watching the BBC Sewing Bee.  There are darts, a zipper, a waistband and a hem ... and only two main pattern pieces.  All the basics in a simple project.  The blouse is the Sewaholic Pendrell.  Guess I'll be in trouble if those who sign up are not pear-shaped figures - I'll be busy helping them to alter the fit.  Oh, well - not like I get to sit around and snooze in any sewing class.
A close-up of the fabrics
I thought that the lighting in the store was quite good, but obviously those fluorescent lights do little to help in showing the true colours of fabrics.  This jacket is actually a coral, but it looks to be quite a hideous orange.  (Probably not a good combination of coral fabric on red mannequin either ...)
Back side first, because that's the star attraction.  The idea behind this class is to get people with embroidery machines to use them on something other than quilt blocks and bags.  Cutwork seemed to be the right choice for summer wear.  Oh - the pattern I used is Kwik Sew 3620, with major changes.  One layer for the collar, no facings - easy, easy, easy.  I think that watching the machine embroider took longer than actually sewing the jacket - binding included.
The sleeves needed some embroidery, too - couldn't have them look naked.  (And in case anyone is interested - the cutwork design is on the menu of the Huqvarna Diamond Deluxe - design No. 127, I believe.  ... and no, I do not have this machine at home - I embroider at the store, where I can pick and choose which machine I want to work on - not that such things happen all too often.)
The front is very plain, but there is a point where one could overstep the maximum of allowable embroidery on an article of clothing.
That's all for now.  I'll continue getting inspired by everyone else, and hopefully get my act together to show more pictures sooner rather than later.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

<a href="">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>