I ogled this pattern as soon as it came out. Needed to do a lot of thinking before I ordered
it, because it’s boxy/baggy, and that’s not my usual thing … but …there’s a
belt to cinch it in. And there are all
those cute pockets that I will never use, but look so “neat”. I finally ordered it, as well as the D-rings
that you need for the pattern – times 2, because if I’m going to spend serious
money on a pattern, it is definitely going to be used more than once.
That was last summer.
It was October by the time I actually got around to this pattern. Other things got in the way. The weather was still warm enough, and I thought
I just might get a few wears of my new linen coat before the weather
turned. Not so. By the time I finished (lots and lots of
precision stitching on this one) it was definitely way too cold for an unlined
linen coat. It was relegated to the
closet until the weather warmed up after a long slog through winter.
Fabric – a fairly stiff linen. Colour - oatmeal – which made
it a dickens of a thing to take pictures of.
Not all linen softens up after
washing. Of course I prewashed and dried
it in the dryer, but that didn’t really do much to soften it. This linen was ordered for a class on
embroidered tablecloths, as I remember, but – there was rather a lot that went
unsold, and I just had to rescue a few metres to sit in my stash for a while. Because it’s so stiff, I did not use any
interfacing. If this linen ever softens up enough that the collar and the lapels
stop behaving properly – guess I can always give it a few spritzes of starch. As for distorting – don’t think so – so much
topstitching and edge stitching keeping things in place – nothing’s going
anywhere it shouldn’t.
The fit is loose – very loose. I could have probably done with the Size 2,
but when I made the Kelly Anorak, the size 2 felt a little too close on the
shoulders – not comfortable if one is supposed to be able to stuff a layer or
two under the jacket. (Which was my
thinking back in October, when I was sewing this.) So I went with a size 4. If we're going bigger - might as well go bigger all the way. And - I just wasn't in the mood for fiddly fitting. Didn’t know if I would be happy with this
decision, but now I’m living with it, and that’s that. (I can definitely get this over a bulky
sweater.) I should have made some sort
of small bust adjustment, i.e. taken out my usual inch on the horizontal across
the front. Alternately – I could have
moved the opening thingy for the belt up a bit.
I did neither. So when the belt
is wrapped around me, there’s some “pooling” of fabric above the waist. This is a loose jacket/coat – I’m not going
to quibble. And mostly I’ve been wearing
the coat undone.
|Belt on the inside.|
Which brings us to the question – what to do with that
rather long belt when it’s not being used for its intended purpose? Well, you can roll it up and stuff it in the
pocket. Didn’t like that option. After a few wears with safety pins holding
the belt on the inside, I made belt loops inside at each of the seams, and I
just thread the belt through and pull it out of the little opening to the
outside. Seems to work just fine.
|Inside view - belt carriers.|
|Got to use the cute little bar tack on my machine!|
|Decided to go for the bias tape finish on the armhole.|
Love this coat. It
goes to the grocery store. It goes for
walks – well, at least when the weather isn’t too disgustingly hot and
humid. Lovely big pockets to hold my
phone (so I can listen to my audio book enroute) and keys.
Having spent a fair amount of time on the first Sienna and
not having the satisfaction of actually wearing it right away - I was
determined to fix this problem.
cut it out in a wool/cotton/something mix.
Left off all the little pockets.
Made the big pockets lie flat. (They
stick out a bit on the original.) Left
off most of the topstitching. Lined it
in flannel-backed lining – of which I didn’t have enough – using scraps – so
had to do a little creative piecing. Made
a separate belt and belt carriers on the side seams.
|"Interesting" piecing on the lining.|
Lots of room under this for sweaters. Very definitely a grab
and go coat. It was probably my most worn coat over the winter season.
another one planned – I did buy 2 sets of D-rings! Initially, I thought that I would make all
three views of this pattern. When that
will actually happen – who knows.