Wednesday, July 4, 2012

LBD

Not to be morbid, but the real reason for the addition of this dress to my closet is just to have something to wear to funerals in really hot weather.  Not that there are any on the horizon, though one never knows.  Of course, there certainly other events where this dress can go - with suitably mood lifting accessories.
Simplicity 2473
I made up this pattern last year - sleeveless with the A-line skirt.  This time around it's the short sleeves and straight skirt.  Should have been quick and easy, but I decided to underline the eyelet with cotton batiste.  Double the cutting, the basting, the...  Not the fastest thing in the world, despite the fact that I didn't do anything "interesting" - like piping or some such thing.  Oh - I didn't underline the sleeves.  (How daring - skin peeking through sleeves!)  Despite the underlining, I think that I'll still be wearing a slip - a half-slip at least.  The skirt is still a bit too see-through.  Should be rather wearable, even in the hottest, muggiest weather.
... and just for the sake of adding one more picture - the back view.  Invisible zipper - I managed to line up all the intersections of seams - on the first go, no less!  Yeah!
May-be I do need to wear this somewhere soon, or it will forever be labeled "for funerals only" in my mind and will never see the light of day, and there was just far too much effort put into this dress, to have it remain hidden in the closet till it is hopelessly out of style.

12 comments:

  1. This is definitely a beautifully made LBD that can be worn to many occasions! It would be a wonderful backdrop to a myriad of bright bold accessories. The eyelet fabric is also very pretty. A practical addition to any wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on Irene, I'm sure that you can have fun in this great little black dress. Beautifully made and versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's too nice a dress to leave in the back of the closet for funerals! I do hope you find some other uses for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ,that is being prepared . However it is much too nice to just wear at funerals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all need a few LBDs in our wardrobe and what a perfect dress for summer. The eyelet is a very nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a terrific dress for many occasions. I hear you though about funeral clothes. I always make sure I have something in my closet that's appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful dress and I hope you can wear it to things other than funerals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A perfectly lovely dress, and the perfect blank canvas for dressing up and down as much as your heart desires :)
    And even though a funeral is a vey sad occasion, it is nice to have something ready so you don't have to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely dress like this one should not be reserved only for sad occasions. I think it would look very chic worn at other times, and the lace fabric makes it extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this dress and I feel very inspired to purchase this pattern! I agree with the others--surely you can find lots of occasions to wear such a terrific dress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I think it a good idea to make something ,just in case. I've made this pattern three times and one of the dresses looks very much like yours but is sleeveless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's always good to have a black dress for all seasons. Black in summer can be worn during the evening and besides it has a slimming affect.

    ReplyDelete