Friday, July 27, 2012

Kooky skirt

I've been painting the living room/dining room.  Bits and bites of sewing have been happening, but nothing too involved.  When you're covered in paint (will I ever learn to paint without dripping?), taking a break in the sewing room just isn't a very smart idea.  I did want to show you this skirt that I'd finished a little while back.  I'm still not sure whether I "love" it, but it's certainly getting worn.
I was browsing in a shop when I spotted a skirt with a hem like this.  It appealed to me for some reason, and I just had to have one.  I used my hands to "measure" the tucks at the hem.  Once I was home, I rooted around for the gauzy black cotton in my stash, and the pattern for the Bossa Nova Swishy Gored Skirt by Hot Patterns, which I'd downloaded.  I lengthened it to the ankle, made the tucks, stitched them at the seams and added a batiste lining before stitching in the elastic.
As we were driving around doing errands the other day, my daughter spotted someone on the street wearing this style in white (which is the colour of the RTW skirt in the store).
Now I'm off for a week of "vacation/slave labour".  I volunteer in the kitchen at a children's summer camp in Illinois.  I'm hoping that the weather is just a tad cooler than it has been - definitely no AC in the kitchen!

7 comments:

  1. You are a good soul to volunteer to work in a kitchen in the summer! Your skirt looks like it will be comfortable in the heat. It's pretty, and a little bit bohemian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun skirt. It will go with so many things. The type of fabric you used sounds perfect for the warmer weather too. The kids will be so blessed by your service! I do hope it stays cool for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this skirt-it has a cool hippie vibe going on. Have fun at camp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great skirt. So, the hem is like a bustle? Fabric tucked and sewn at the seamlines and the rest of the hem hangs free? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this skirt! It's delightfully bohemian ... so you will cooking for kids in summer ... ugh! Enjoy the country air!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy the camp - remember that camp food can only ever be better than the last one. From yuk to ok..like. Love your skirt BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really a very cool skirt Irene!
    Have a fun time at camp!

    ReplyDelete