Wednesday, July 11, 2012
And now for a little bit of colour
For the skirt I followed Sherry's instructions for her Miranda skirt - more or less. The mathematical part of my brain must have gone on holiday. For some reason I could not calculate the pleats. Perhaps it's because I use inches for sewing, not centimeters, and calculators use decimals, and it all gets really, really confusing. Could also be that I did my usual scan through the instructions without actually reading all the information. I persevered. Three tries later I had even pleats. No side seams needed - this print runs along the selvedge, though it's not actually a border print. One invisible zipper and one waistband later, and we have a skirt. Would this mean that this is Javanese fabric?
McCalls 5433 is getting to be a "TNT" for me. (Now apparently OOP! - does this mean that my shirt is now out-of-date?) I widened the 3/4 sleeves just a tad, because the last time I made these, they turned out rather snug - not impossible to wear, just impossible to roll up once they're on my arms. Sort of annoying - having to remember to roll up the sleeves before putting on the shirt. Left off the collar - just because. Didn't put in all the buttonholes - it's summer I will never, ever be buttoning this thing up to my neck. Besides, I've seen shirts done this way - so it's not just my crazy laziness. Oh! - I actually made french seams - but only on the sleeves. Don't want anyone seeing ugly serging when I roll those sleeves up! I added tucks. Why, oh why do I come up with these make-work-projects when I'm dealing with cranky fabric that refuses to cooperate? Two tries to get more-or-less straight tucks. The first try got cut off and chucked. I finally resorted to my cranky sewing machine - the one with the fancy 1/4 inch foot.
Still not perfect, but I really didn't want to stitch 10 more tucks. The tucks were sewn before I cut the fronts of the shirt. I just measured to make sure that they would fit the space between the seam and the dart. I know - cheater's method, but it works.
Now I'm working on this that and the other thing in spits and spurts. I do wish that I could get back to designating myself a "sewing day". Unfortunately, there are too many "other projects" at the moment, so the only way sewing is going to happen, is in bits and pieces. There is progress, and that's the main thing.