Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My first red skirt ever

So what do you do with the leftovers of red plaid fabric that was used to line son's vest?  Make a skirt, of course.  This brilliant idea popped into my head while I was clearing the cutting table on Sunday.  An easy project.  Instant gratification.  Not quite.  The fabric is a rather large plaid - matching absolutely necessary.  Added problem - I must have bought the end of the bolt, because there was all sorts of nonsense stamped at one end of the piece.  No problem!  Don't ask why I was so determined to get a skirt out of this leftover piece.  Well - here it is.


(Along with the ever-present helper.)  I managed to cut the front all in one piece.  The back just wouldn't fit onto what was left without having the stamped numbers somewhere in the hem.  The ink was quite stiff, and I just wouldn't be happy with the result.  Some redesigning was in order.  I laid down the pattern piece from the bottom up and figured out how deep a yoke I would need at the top.  Drew the yoke with a curved ruler.  Took out the darts from the yoke piece.  Voila!



 A bias (sort of) back yoke.  Actually - I really did try to get the yoke on true bias, but it just wouldn't fit, so I just made it fit.  I fused very fine interfacing to the yoke piece on grain, so that there wouldn't be any issues with the zipper insertions, or stretching later on.  Well - I did make it fit  the fabric that I had.  I now have my very first red skirt.  Not a colour that I've ever thought to wear, but the fabric was there.  It's washable, so I can wear this at home with no worries about blobbing something on myself.  I have black and white tops to wear with it.  Perfect.

I didn't line this skirt, because I'd rather not have to deal with lining after washing the thing.  I'd rather wear it with a halfslip, and to ensure that no-one will ever get a peek of my slip - I made a pleat instead of a slit at the back.


It's such an easy thing to do - you just add a rectangle of fabric the width of the slit extension.  (Yes, more matching was required in this case).
 

I just stitched at the sides, then top-stitched an upside-down V at the top of the pleat from the right side.  You can even lengthen the slit, if you need more room for walking, with never a worry about indecent exposure - just make sure that you remember to also lengthen the extensions on either side of the slit.




Yes, I know - I didn't match the bias plaid absolutely perfectly at the zipper - but the yoke seam is dead on!    When on public view, the yoke will more than likely be covered by a jacket or sweater, so I wasn't in the mood for "unstitching" and redoing.



 Whatever happened to the little bars that were sold with hooks along with the curved eyelets?  Seems to me hooks always came with a choice on the same card.  Not anymore, and since the curved eyelets have to be set further back to allow the "hooking" to happen, they end up showing.  Hence the necessity of making a french tack to be able to hook up the waistband!  Yes, I used the selvage edge, as the finished edge of the waistband - that's why there are little fuzzy threads.

So that's what happens when I get a brainwave while clearing up after a project - only made possible because I just happened to also have some red thread in the drawer (I was seriously worried that I would run out before I finished any visible stitching) and a red invisible zipper (which was way too long, but that was easily fixed).  End result - I had a new skirt to wear to-day, and that made me happy.  Now what was it that I was supposed to be sewing next?


13 comments:

  1. Very cute skirt! I love that bold red plaid and the way that you have used it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely the perfect skirt for that fabric. I loved reading about your decision making on the back yoke. Pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the bias back yoke; it adds interest and looks like it was meant to be. What a triumph with scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found you and I am amazed at your work! You have a privileged hands and a beautiful mind to carry your projects. I will follow you to visit more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irene, that's such a cute skirt! Red, black and white look great together. Love the pleat at the back instead of a slit. Very nice. Your work is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! Great little lesson, great skirt. And the cutest little French tack in blogland. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it, I like it. Way to use up the fabric leftovers. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comment on my blog! I'm enjoying looking through your previous project and looking forward to reading about some more. I love your solution for getting the skirt out of the scraps .. .the yoke idea is inspired! I bright spot of color for winter wear ... I think it is lovely with your tights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That skirt looks fantastic! Love it with the black top and tights.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you did a magnificent job matching up those plaids, and with a limited amount of fabric!! Sometimes those little challenges we set for ourselves give magical results; your determination paid off! And I love it worn with the black tights and top to set it off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That skirt is so festive and wonderfully chic with the bias yoke. It's great when you get so creative with "free" leftover fabric. Your determination made something even more special.
    Thanks so much for your encouraging blog comments. It's opening up a whole new community for me and also allowing me to look at projects with new eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I say "Excellent" job of matching the plaid. The red skirt is really cute too.

    ReplyDelete