Now the jacket is rather a long story...
Two years ago I decided to sew a suit for Easter. Made the skirt. Made the blouse. (Almost) made the jacket. The outer shell was done. The lining was ready to be sewn in. All was well. I decided that I needed keyhole buttonholes. Now my machine makes very ugly keyhole buttonholes. Well, I would just pop over to the store and beg to use one of the very fancy machines that make lovely keyhole buttonholes. I made samples. Everything was going well. Time to actually sew buttonholes on the jacket. First buttonhole - perfect. Second buttonhole - perfect. Third buttonhole - huge wad of thread build-up and one big mess. I persevered through the fourth buttonhole, which was - perfect. Attempts to remove the thread mess just made a worse mess. I was almost in tears. I packed up and went home (calling that super-duper machine all kinds of bad names). I knew I'd think of something to save the jacket. The first thing that came to mind was making use of the sample buttonholes that looked beautiful. I thought that if I cut out shapes around the buttonhole, lifted out the damaged one, then inset the same shape and satin stitched around, I could make do. And to make it look like a design thing, I'd do the same treatment on the second and third (damaged) buttonholes. I just made a worse mess.
|Scraps left for redesigning|
The really scary part now was cutting off a piece of jacket and replacing it with my strip of buttonholes. The binding seemed to grow as I was removing it, only to make me even more nervous about how the end result was going to look. Lots more measuring, praying, more measuring and I finally got up the nerve to chop the jacket.
Cut the facing side to size. And at this point I rather ran out of steam for picture-taking. Then it was a matter of reapplying my binding, inserting the lining into the jacket and I was finally done!
...and in case anyone is interested, the pattern for this jacket is: