Thursday, December 29, 2011

Presents I

I always tell people that I do not quilt.  So, please don't let the cat out of the bag that I actually made up a pseudo-quilt!
I've had this fish fabric for a long time.  I didn't buy it - definitely not my style.  Must have been "inherited".  Every so often I would think to give it to Goodwill, but then I would reason that it just might come in handy some day.  Why, I couldn't explain, but I had this feeling.  So there it lay, taking up space.
I now have a future son-in-law.  That's one person who I don't really know well at this point in time.  I do need to include something in the Christmas present box for him.  It can't all be for my daughter.  I thought long and hard with no brilliant ideas forthcoming.  Finally I asked my daughter what would be a good present.  She remembered the fish fabric.  A throw blanket for watching TV!  The fiance is a fishing and hunting kind of guy (I guess they come that way in Northern BC).  The fish sort of work with that theme.  I did a lot of calculating and cutting and sewing and more cutting and sewing.  I really do know why I would make a horrid quilter - it's boring sewing!  Nevertheless - I did actually get this done.  I did take the easy way out with the back.  Bought a square of polar fleece to stitch down the fishy top.  I even got lazy with the edges.  No binding!  I just wrapped the polar fleece, stitched all the way around and trimmed.  That was a lot of stitching!
Moral of the story - never get rid of odd fabric - you never know when the appropriate recipient might happen along.

5 comments:

  1. This is a terrific idea. I really love it, the colours and detailed line-work on the fish fabric is gorgeous. You might have to handle more quilt requests from your family when they see this lovely one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omigosh, I used to have a fabric very similar to that! I think I had the thought that maybe for my dad...

    Congrats on a future SIL!!! How exciting! And you are off to a great start, making him such a thoughtful gift. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect gift made, and a little stash "clear out!" Well done:-)
    I actually enjoy a little quilting, but I never have time because I always desire more clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kind of quilt. You made it wonderfully personal and very clever without making yourself nuts for months working on all those little pieces. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to finish the quilt, with polar fleece. I imagine it will be so warm too. The fish fabric looks perfect made into this blanket!

    ReplyDelete