Thursday, May 24, 2018

Wacky stripes again

Yet another "let's just use up this fabric" project.  It's a very lightweight, super stretchy knit.  Who knows what the fiber content is.  I just saw wacky stripes on the "ends" table and I had to have them.  Unfortunately, due to my immediate infatuation with the stripes, I failed to notice that there were strange rusty spots all over the back side of the fabric.  (Note to self:  regardless of how amazing the fabric looks, feels, etc. - always, always check it over for flaws, spots and other undesirables.)  Needless to say, I had no immediate project in mind for the stripes, so this piece languished for quite some time.  Only when I was laying out the fabric on my cutting table, did I notice the spots.  That did not exactly make  cutting out stress-free.
So - once again, Pamela's Patterns to the rescue.  I cut the top of my t-shirt pattern, hacking it off at the waist -as well as setting the centre front 1 inch from the fold.
I learned to draw on my pictures!! 
Wrong sides together, I stitched a - you guessed it - a 1 inch pleat down the front.  That gives a bit of stability for all those buttons down the front.

The skirt is my garden variety A-line, except that at the last moment I decided to add a little more "kick" to the front and back.

Actually managed to more or less match the stripes on all 4 skirt seams.  Sleeves are at three-quarter length.  I also sewed elastic to the waist seam.  Even though I will always wear this dress with a belt, I've found that the elastic keeps the waist where it should be and makes everything hang better.
You'd think that a dress would pretty well eat up a whole piece of fabric, particularly one where major spots had to be avoided, but no - there's still enough left for (probably) another whole dress.  How much of this stuff did I buy???
And here's the requisite picture of me wearing the dress.
As always - thinking back - perhaps I could have-should have done something more interesting with the sleeves, or added some other details.  On the other hand - it looks as I imagined it.  With fabric that's not an easy sew - super-stretchy thin knit - perhaps one easy detail (the pleat with buttons) is all that it needs.

12 comments:

  1. I really love this dress Irene. Very stylish and not wacky at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I like it! Really cute with the boots too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that pleat detail! I may "copy" that sometime! I love the dress, and looks wonderful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. I’m very picky about patterns, but this one is very cool and sophisticated. Love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an elegant dress. I love how you style it with those fabulous boots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous new dress! Just love your pattern hack to make your fabric work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice print and perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely dress and such great fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful print and love the ensemble

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Irene, This is another great looking dress. Gosh, I love the way you work around issues. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your crazy stripes. I hope to be brave enough to try this out someday
    Sue B

    ReplyDelete