Not much sewing has been going on around here, probably going back to August. First I injured my hand. I was right in the middle of sewing samples for my Fall classes. Somehow I did manage to finish up the most important things and the rest were pulled from my closet. (My daughter’s brilliant idea.) Injured hand being my right (I think there was a minor fracture, but why waste time going to emergency – it still needed time to heal, and I didn’t need anyone to tell me that), I took it as an excuse to do minimal anything – well, not really. Then it was October and time to get ready for the church bazaar. No time to sew, though I did manage a few little cosmetic bags for the sale. As I was recuperating from October, my mother’s accident happened, then the funeral and all the rest of the busyness that follows and when the end of November came, I realized that I hadn’t sewn a thing that month. There are projects on the go that could be finished, but for some reason that just wasn’t motivation enough to get me to sit down in front of the sewing machine. I needed something to ease myself back into things. An easy project. Rhonda and Cenetta came to the rescue.
Cenetta’s clutch purses appeared first, and I gave them a lot of thought. I don’t have any immediate need for a clutch purse. Then came Rhonda’s tote bag post. That made me sit up and take notice. I needed a tote bag rather desperately. The last one I had was taken over by my mother. She always carried a tote – put her purse inside and still had room to “tote” around far too many things. But every time I made her a tote, she would give it away to someone who “desperately” needed a bag to carry something. I got angry and said that I would not make any more totes for her. The next time I saw her getting ready to go somewhere or other, trying to put something into a plastic grocery bag to take along, I relented and handed her my tote. Thus it became her tote. I made do with carrying armloads of stuff to classes, promising myself a new tote. Mum’s tote is now available for use, but after the accident it’s dirty, and I’m still pondering whether to try to clean it and use it, or just toss it. Rhonda’s tote bag started me thinking that a tote would be easy to make, just the thing to get me back in front of the sewing machine. And so I continued to convince myself until Sunday evening when I finally dove into the project. I didn’t finish on Sunday night, but I got a good start, and on Monday it was done.
There were some tough decisions to make. I had fabric – leftovers from my Renfrew coat (still to be shown here). It’s a heavy polyester twill with a bit of stretch and some plasticky foiling. From a distance it looks like leather. One down. Started digging for a lining. Found leftovers from a quilted jacket that I made years ago. What was I saving it for? Another jacket? No fusible batting. Well, I had buckram. Buckram would do to make a nice stiff tote. Found 4 matching D-rings. Found a magnetic snap of some sort.Ready to sew.
|These are a little weird. They are enclosed in some sort of plastic, which then gets sewn to the wrong side of the lining. Not a very strong magnet once they're sewn in, with two layers of fabric between the actual magnets. They'll do in this case.|
I made a few changes from the instructions (aside from the changes in materials). I wanted a wider bottom, so instead of measuring down 2 inches from the corner when boxing the corners, I measured down 3 inches, which gave me 6 inches across the bottom. Because I used buckram for stiffening, I wasn’t too keen on sewing inside out then pulling things right side out. Buckram is very stiff. Instead, I made up the outside of the bag and the lining separately, folded down the half inch at the top on both, inserted the lining and edge stitched all the way around. The handles (obviously) were made from the same fabric. I started with about a 30 inch length, pinned the handle in place, put it on my shoulder and shortened it to where it was comfortable to carry.
Once the tote was done, with fabric left over and still lying around on the cutting table, I convinced myself that I really needed to just whip up Cenetta’s clutch.
Lining was an
easier find this time – not so large a piece needed.
|I made the one with the pocket on the back|
|I finished the handle by wrapping a strip of taffeta around the join to cover the raw edges.|
So – thank-you Rhonda and Cenetta for lighting the fire under me.