Thursday, February 16, 2017

Oakridge blouse and a skirt



Playing catch-up here.  I’m really going to try to post twice a week.  Obviously “Sunday outfits” fizzled out, though they may make a comeback at some point.

Last Autumn I wanted to have a go at the Oakridge blouse by Sewaholic.   
The fabric is from the late ‘80’s, I think, from the Lilly Ann outlet in San Francisco.  Definitely overdue for leaving the stash and moving up to the closet.  Having cut the blouse, it seemed I had enough to make the pleated skirt.  
funny how this print looks weird and fuzzy when you pan back from it
Pattern is from the ‘80’s also (very definitely OOP), but I had never used it.  (Wonder why?)  
My latest “rule” is not to leave great chunks of fabric that will go back into stash.  While it’s on the cutting table, might as well cut out something else.  In this case, I’m happy with my “2-piece dress”.  I was thinking the blouse as something to wear with black jeans, but this combination dress isn’t too bad either – though it definitely needs a black belt, I think.  And the skirt can go solo with a black t-shirt.  Unfortunately neither has been worn yet.  I’m waiting for warmer weather.  By the time I finished sewing, winter had set in.  This particular polyester feels cold and clammy in winter.  Come Spring (if that ever happens!) these will get a few wears until the weather turns hot and humid, and then this polyester will once again become unwearable.  Don’t know if I‘ll repeat the skirt, but I already have done a repeat of the Oakridge blouse.  That one’s coming up when I post my class samples.  So that’s two unused patterns now used and one not-so-small piece of fabric completely used up!

11 comments:

  1. Very satisfying! Both pieces look great .

    ReplyDelete
  2. so pretty, it looks like it's perfect for your slim frame. I do the same thing with fabric, even if it's just enough to do a sleep tank. those remnants add up and haunt my sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! Yes, those remnants really do need to be kept under control.

      Delete
  3. I love how these look, at first glance I thought it was a dress... beautiful I would love to see this outfit on you ... warm weather hurry up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! I do hope that I get to wear them soon.

      Delete
  4. Lovely! they look great together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! I love your fabric and pattern choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always so satisfying when a whole piece of fabric gets used up! These are great pieces and I am sure you will get a lot of wear out of them either as separates or together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So chic! It looks like a terrific 2 pieces set-acular! It's terrific when a whole piece of fabric issued in one project, very satisfying :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you have stash dating back to the 80's as well! It's time we both used it up! I love the blouse, and the skirt is a good idea too - I agree, much better to use the whole piece while you are about the job.

    ReplyDelete