Thursday, July 13, 2017

The dress the dog ate

Just in case you've read my sad tale in the latest issue of Threads Magazine (Issue 192/August/September 2017) about my doggie eating the wedding dress, I thought you might like to see some pictures of the actual dress.  OK - so I don't have pictures of the destruction done.  I wasn't "into" taking pictures back then, and I probably wouldn't have wanted to remind myself of the disaster.  But I did borrow the dress to take some pictures of the "fixes".  At the time, I was so sure that my patches were oh, so obvious to the whole world.  So many years later, I had to really, really look to find my patches.  Guess I didn't do so bad a job.


 

The edge of this shoulder was totally shredded.


This sleeve was also a chewed up mess.  It required extra embroidery to cover up the edges of the patches, and that in turn required extra embroidery on the other sleeve so that they would match.


What really did allow me to make the "patches", was the fact that the skirt had to be shortened.  The tulle layer of the skirt being somewhat A-line, I was able to salvage some of the skirt trim to use as patches elsewhere.

The dress did sustain some damage during the wedding.  (All that delicate tulle was not meant for dancing with wild abandon.)  And since I did borrow it for my pictures, I suppose I'll be nice and fix it as best as possible, in case they decide to have the dress cleaned and boxed.

So there you have it.  And now for the culprit in this tale of woe ...


Surprisingly innocent-looking.  He's been gone to the big dog park in the sky for well over a year, but I still miss him terribly.  I was amazed that the artist who drew the cartoon picture for the magazine got the essence of my "puppy" so right.



9 comments:

  1. Your story reminds me of a lady I worked with for a while. She had her dress laying on her bed (don't know for what reason) and one of her two dogs hopped up and urinated right in the middle of the skirt front. (I'm not sure that dog liked the groom to be, LOL) I think with some magic from her dry cleaning friends it was salvaged for the wedding. Oh, and by the way.....marriage was over within 5 years....maybe the dog was trying to tell her something. Your dog is beautiful by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tale...I can imagine the emotions that accompanied this little debacle. Reminds me of a fabric doll that I sold, that was promptly enjoyed by a pup. The owner sent it to me asking could I please repair the doll. Well, it was still wet, smelled like dog breath, and was full of dog hair! Straight into the bin, and I (graciously, I think) made her a new one. No charge - a good will investment. Now, I can understand fixing a wedding dress, but the doll...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job. Your blog of The dress the dog ate is very good. your sewing is very good and very useful for all. Keep sharing and posting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. What a lovely ,lovely dress and poor you. You must have been devastated at the time.But being the pro that you are, the fixes are not visible ,at least to my eye .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved (and cringed for) your story! Good job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful dress! Many years ago my puppy ate the beautiful wool coat my mom had made for me. We were able to salvage it by adding patch pockets, which were just a tad low for me to reach, but it allowed me to use the coat for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.
    shirts

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s very informative and you are obviously very knowledgeable in this area. You have opened my eyes to varying views on this topic with interesting and solid content. Diamond dog food reviews

    ReplyDelete