Friday, September 30, 2016

Class samples – September 2016



Before September ends, it might be a good idea to post my class samples that have been hanging in the store since the beginning of the month.  We have limited space in the store for display, and since the quilters manage to take up all the wall space (wonder how that happens?), I try to make my stuff work as “outfits”, so that I can dress the mannequins.  No mean feat, because none of the mannequins are actually my size, and the clothing, generally, is destined for my closet.  I’ve also gotten bored with sewing plain old t-shirts and cardigans for the t-shirt and cardigan class, (we use Pamela’s patterns for these classes), yet when I make even the slightest change in design, people immediately think that I’ve used a totally different pattern.  Hopefully my solution to the problem will not stymie any would-be students.  I’ve gone ahead and made up the garments as I wanted to, then pinned on a list of changes that I’ve made to the pattern.  Without further ado …

For beginners, there are the ever-present pyjama pants in a bright print.  (They are for my daughter, therefore - her choice of fabric.)  And a garment bag - a chance to learn to sew in zippers, as well as l-o-n-g seams for practicing straight stitching.  I'm repeating the Minoru jacket from Sewaholic Patterns - I've added patch pockets here, as well as a change in the sleeves.  Classes on pants fitting, t-shirts and one I'm calling "Maxi skirt".  Here as an 8-gore skirt.  Originally I had two separate classes for skirts - one for a knit skirt with an elastic waist, and one for an 8-gore skirt.  Not too many interested people.  Then I lumped the two together, called them maxi skirts, and all of a sudden the classes got filled.  I guess it's all about the name.  People who claim never to wear skirts, apparently wear maxi skirts!  Go figure.
The sleeve on the cream t-shirt was widened a bit, finished with a cuff.  It's split down the centre and held together with shell buttons.
This t-shirt grew into a tunic.  I used the paisley fabric only on the front - the back and sleeves are black.  The lining on the Minoru jacket happens to be the leftovers from the prom dress.

This poor mannequin is on its last legs, so it's a bit of a challenge to get it to stand up straight, never mind have it display clothing well.  Nevertheless - a knit skirt, a t-shirt and a cardigan from Pamela's Twinset pattern.  (The little tag hanging on the ribbon lists the changes made to the pattern.)
For this cardigan I added an overlap, buttonholes and buttons.  The edges were bound in bias strips of cotton velveteen.  And then there's the applique...  The fabric is a "quilted" knit - it was just a remnant, so the sleeves ended up as 3/4.  My daughter came in just as I was finishing the cardi, picked up a little piece of the fabric and commented on the fact that the little squares looked just like squares of chocolate.   For some reason I decided to cut them apart, and for some reason these little "squares of chocolate" just ended up getting blanket-stitched to the front.  Looks OK?
Now I really do have to figure out my priorities for fall/winter sewing.  I've been dithering, which means that I've been sewing things that fall into no particular plan, other than the "I have the fabric and I want to try this pattern" plan.  There definitely has to be at least one winter coat before the really cold weather sets in, and I know that I do have to keep "staying warm" in the plans.  I'm already freezing, and the temperatures are no-where near frosty.  Of course, that might be more to do with "lack of personal insulation" (as my late husband used to call it), than actual outdoor temperatures.  So now I'm off to dig in the stash to see what can be used for warm and cozy clothing.

4 comments:

  1. I am absolutely charmed by the sleeve on the cream t-shirt. I often use cuffs on mine - nice change - but the buttons. How clever and pretty! I enjoyed these pics of your shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! I had originally thought to make this a much dressier T with beading, but I didn't have the right beads. Shell buttons - I have bags of those.

      Delete
  2. Love all the small details that make the shirt and cardigan special. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! Sometimes it doesn't take much, but details can definitely give some interest.

      Delete