Monday, July 15, 2013

V8516

This pattern has been in the drawer for a while.  Copyright 2008 - OK, so not so long as some others.  Definitely time to give this one a try.  And - since, for a while, it seemed as though we would never have weather warm enough for "real" summer clothing, I thought that it would be smarter to start on things that I could actually wear right away, than those that would just get hung in the closet waiting for warmer temperatures.  That's all changed, but...
Vogue 8516
This is definitely very easy.  No sleeves to set in.  I opted for the collar from View A (that notched one doesn't appeal to me in the least, for some reason) and the 3/4 sleeves.  By making a SBA  I did away with the dart (makes sewing even easier).  Mind you, with this sleeve style, I had to   cut off the sleeve to make the SBA, then paste it back on.  Obviously, I managed to get it back into the right place.  The sleeves needed to be lopped off by some 4 or so inches to actually make them the right length.  Unusual for me, as I have monkey arms.  The pattern shows split cuffs, whereas I sewed mine into a round, for more of "turned up sleeves" look.  And I omitted interfacing in the cuffs - the fabric is too drapey , and I didn't think that stiff cuffs would work too well.
My fabric is a rayon and something-or-other mix - very drapey, and obviously very wrinkle-prone.  A collar in the same fabric  would have been too boring, and I managed to find a scrap of some gauzy almost cheesecloth type stuff in a drawer - but the colour worked.  Even so, with interfacing it does its job.  I added an extra button, because I didn't want to leave one lonely button with no mates.  (That's a good reason, no?)  Oh - it definitely needed a snap above the top button, otherwise the poor collar kept drooping and looking rather sad.
This one's just so that you can see the lines of the sleeve (this is actually a "mistake" picture, but it does serve a purpose).
I suppose I do like this blouse.  Very comfortable, and very cool to wear.  I did end up popping on a belt when I had to go out in public.  Looks too pyjama-like as is, at least to my eye.  Or may-be I'm just not built for the loose and baggy trend that I'm seeing on the streets.  Too long to tuck into pants, but I could definitely tuck it into a skirt, as per View A.

8 comments:

  1. This style works well on you. I like the contrast collar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blouse is lovely on you, the fit, the color, wonderful! BTW, your hair is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a super blouse, and not pajama-y at all. I agree with Rhonda-your hair is beautiful. If you're pining for hot weather, come on down to Michigan cause we've got some hot, humid, sultry, miserable temps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great looking blouse, especially in the grey and contrasting white collar. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely blouse and looks so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful that such a lovely blouse is made from a easy to sew (simplified by you) pattern. The white collar is a nice detail. I'll bet you sew this pattern again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ithtink your shirt is just lovely! that gorgeous subtle colour.... The contrasting white collar is an interesting shape and looks really elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful fabric combination and how nice to be cool but covered from the sun when it gets oppressive.

    ReplyDelete