Saturday, July 6, 2013

A Most Impractical Coat

The plan in early spring was to get on with summer sewing, or at least "transitional" sewing, so that I wouldn't be stuck in the usual rut of nothing to wear and no time to sew once the really warm weather started.  I had absolutely no plans for coat sewing.  Then....  While dusting books, I came across one about fashions of the Hapsburg Empire.  Had to have a look at the pictures.  (Doesn't everyone start looking at pictures while dusting books?  One drawback - it certainly does add to the amount of time necessary to get through dusting the bookcase and contents.)  Anyway - there was a white uniform coat  from some Hungarian regiment that caught my eye, which got me thinking, and by end of day I decided that I had to have a white coat.  A white spring coat.  And wouldn't you know it I had a rather large amount of creamy white wool sitting in the stash.  Never mind that that fabric was to be a winter robe for keeping warm and cozy while watching movies on winter evenings.  Right.  With the dog sitting on top of me.  And how long would that robe stay white and clean?  No, much better that the wool become a coat.  A white coat for spring that will get worn at most a few times a year, and that way will stay clean and white for a good long time.  So for the better part of April I was sewing a coat.  Didn't get pictures the one time I actually wore the coat, so the picture taking happened when I finally moved the wool coats down to their summer hiding place, which happened very late this year.
I started with Vogue 7807 (OOP), widened the skirt at every panel, changed the collar, took it from double breasted to centre closure - basically redesigned the whole thing, but at least I started from a pattern that fit me well.  For the facings I used grey velvet, which ends up giving the effect of some piping at the edges.  Endless grey topstitching, because otherwise the whole thing would be way too boring.  And to avoid the buttonhole issue altogether - slot buttonholes!  Grey velvet buttons.  And did you notice my glaring mistake??  The pockets landed too low.  I really didn't want pockets in the side seams.  At some point Rhonda posted inspiration pictures and there was the perfect idea.  How my flaps ended up so low, I have no idea - I probably just eyeballed the placement.  (well, at least they're not crooked!)  I'll fix them.  I promise.  Before I wear the coat the next time.
Couldn't leave the back plain and boring, so I made a tab.
Used the fancy stitches on my machine to tack down the back lining pleat.  The lining is grey, by the way.
I thought that I had so much more to write about this coat, but...  It's late.  I'm tired.  When will I learn ... when I sit down to the computer to write a blog post, that is what I should do first, before I start checking out what everyone else has been doing.  Otherwise - I spend way too much time visiting everywhere else, and by the time I get to writing my own - my brain is ready to call it quits for the night.  Oh well.  Next time I will finally move to summer wear.  Promise.

18 comments:

  1. Come and live this Sydney - 14 degrees is about the coldest day time temperature in winter. This gorgeous coat would have regular outings. You top stitching is impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This coat is just gorgeous! Great sewing and design features.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning Irene! The great thing about sewing is that it's easy to justify being impractical. This is one of the prettiest coats I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love this coat! I love absolutely everything about it. Contrasts gray is my favorite detail. You are spotless when you sit down with your sewing machine! I totally agree with you that first you have to write your own post and then enjoy looking at what other colleagues have done ... I have this problem too ... hehe. Greetings, dear Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh-that is fantastic. Even though the pockets ended up south of where thye should have, the whole coat looks so professional.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great coat. The topstitching really helps bringing the grey in and making it look really interesting. Oops about the pockets. lucky you can fix them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You may not wear that coat often, but when you do you will look like a movie star!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the detailing on your coat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the welt pockets, they look so smart and beautifully tailored :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful coat! I love how the gray peeks out. So rich and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful coat! Very sleek, flattering style and the grey and cream color combination is so sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Plans gave way to dreams and something wonderful was the result! Your coat has just enough of the shape and detail of a long-ago military coat to evoke that feeling, but it is also modern and elegant. I am bowled over by it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Irene. . Your coat is beautiful. Love the clean lines, the top stitching, back tab, & welt pocket details... superbly done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love "impractical" coats, and this is just gorgeous. All the details inside and out make it extra special. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Irene, how could I have missed this lovely coat. Love, love all the details. The contrasting collar and facings, the channel stitches and the decorative stitching on the lining. Bravo! It's so much better as a coat than a robe. ;-)

    ReplyDelete