The fabric has been marinating for some time and so has the pattern. I'm happy that inspiration hit when I put these two together. A hint of vintage?
The fabric is a heavier silk broadcloth with (obviously) printed polka dots in cream. Turned out to be quite the beast to cut out. "A few flaws in the printing - no problem - I'll cut around them." Famous last words. Turned out that there were so many flaws, that what appeared to be loads of fabric for this outfit, was just barely enough, and I had to incorporate a few not too obvious flaws, hoping that they wouldn't jump out at everyone. Sometimes a deal isn't really a deal. The collar and cuffs are cream silk dupioni. I think that it would have been too boring in straight polka dots. The pattern called for shoulder pads. My shoulders don't really need extra padding (except maybe to soften the bones), so I left those out, which did require an alteration to the shoulder line and therefore also the top of the sleeve. Otherwise - nothing terribly exciting in the construction. The pattern instructions were rather odd in places, so I chose to ignore them and did my own thing. One thing I did try to check was the direction to press the tucks in the front. The instructions for that particular operation made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to waste time on deciphering these things.
Back view of the skirt - cute little tab at the top of the pleat. This time I decided not to crop out my photography assistant. And now for a really bad shot, of "how it was worn", and the only reason for this is - it gives a much better idea of the actual colour of the fabric.
Yes, those are vintagey-looking green shoes. That was my "shot of colour" for that outfit. (Hmmm. Must place camera a little higher up next time, I think. Or perhaps I'll just stick to "dummy" pictures.)
Next dress is already sewn - just needs a press before it heads up to the closet. I promise not to lag so much before my next post!